|Quest to the West|
|Created by||Akira Jotaro (aka Justice0)|
|Writer(s)|| Akira Jotaro
Wu Cheng'en (original novel)
|No. of episodes||24|
|Run time||21-24 minutes|
Quest to the West (天の西遊記 Ten no Saiyūki, lit. Heavenly Journey West) is an anime that was written, directed, and created by Akira Jotaro who also created the anime Book of the Warrior, Qin's Curse, and One Hero. The story was loosely based on the novel, Journey to the West.
The story takes place in ancient China, where demons roam freely through the land and create havoc towards the people. The story is about a young priest named Sanzo Hoshi who travels across the land in search of the seven missing sutra scrolls, but along his journey, he rescues three demons who then joined him on his journey to the west.
After creating chaos in the Heavenly Kingdom, the self-proclaimed Monkey King, Son Goku, was imprisoned by Buddha when he lost their bet. Son Goku was then stuck in mountain, which Buddha had created with his palm, for five centuries. During his time being trapped, Goku learned to control himself better but was still very impatient. After waiting for 500 years, a travelling priest named Sanzo Hoshi met with Goku and freed him from the mountain known as Buddha's Hand, and Goku then became Sanzo's disciple. As they began their journey together to find the seven sutras, they meet along the way a woman who was part pig named Cho Hakkai and a kappa demon named Sha Gojyo who join them as disciples to find the sutras and head to India.
- A young and handsome traveling priest who hates violence but has to resort to it often times when he encounters demons. He is often mistaken to be a monk because of his name and the fact that he used to be bald. He is a calm-minded and benevolent young man who fears nothing but bugs because of an incident that happened to him when he was a child, but even though he doesn't fear many things, he often calls for help when he is in danger due to his inability to fight. He is embarassed to see woman showing a lot of skin and run away if a woman tempts him. He is one of the few people who can understand how to read the missing sutras and also the only one who could control Goku's head ornament. His original name is Tang Xuanzang. He is voiced by Jun Fukuyama in Japanese and Tony Oliver in English.
- The self-proclaimed Monkey King and a trouble loving demon who is immortal. He is very easily motivated and also very easily angered, because of this, he is often referred to as a simpleton. Before he was immortal, he learned to speak and fight by listening and watching humans, and he eventually learned magic which he taught himself. He became immortal after he invaded the Heavenly Kingdom and drank from the Divine Wine, which caused him to become drunk and destroy the meeting hall. After he destroyed the hall, Buddha met with him and made a wager with him and lost, which caused him to be imprisoned on the mountain known as Buddha's Hand. He was released after 500 years by Sanzo Hoshi. He wears a golden ring around his head that he was tricked to into wearing by Buddha, but he still refers to it as his crown and proof that he is the Monkey King. He has the ability to stretch his staff, transform to 72 different beings, multiply himself, and also control a cloud named Flying Nimbus. He accidentally married the Bull Demon King's daughter, Kurenai, during a celebration before their fight. His original name is Sun Wukong. He is voiced by Toshihiko Seki in Japanese and Eric Vale in English.
- A demon who was an immortal before she was cursed to become a pig demon during her wedding. After she was cursed, she became very lazy and a glutton, but due to some unknown reasons, her breasts get bigger rather than her stomach (even though most people see it as a gift, she sees it as part of the curse). She is very cowardly and does not how to fight very well but, due to her curse and her remaining immortal powers, she is stronger than most demons. Before she met Sanzo, she would often transform herself as a human to steal food. She has the ability to transform to 36 different beings and also ride on clouds, but not as fast as Goku. Her original name is Zhu Bajie. She is voiced by Yui Horie in Japanese and Erin Fitzgerald in English.
- A demon who used to be an immortal guard before he was sent to Earth because of his clumsiness and breaking the crystal goblet belonging to the Mother of the West; as his punishment, he was turned into a kappa who lives in the desert. He is a calm-headed, kind, and polite man who is very obedient to Sanzo, but despite that, he is a perverted person who likes to sneak around to see or touch women. Before he met with Sanzo, he was forced to terrorize people around the Flowing Sands River in order to survive. After joining Sanzo as a disciple, he hides the fact that he is a kappa by concealing his shell and cap. He likes to carry around his weapon, the Crescent Moon Spade, in the open because it symbolizes that he is a proud warrior. His original name is Sha Wujing. He is voiced by Atsushi Kisaichi in Japanese and Johnny Yong Bosch in English.
- The Bull Demon King, a three-meter tall giant demon who looks like a bull. He is arrogant and foolish but is known through out the country as one of the strongest demons in the world. He wields a giant axe as his weapon but prefers to use a giant metal fan because it becomes easier for him to win fights with it, but he soon stopped using it due to his fear of his wife. He loves his wife, Rasetsu, but fears her because she is the only person on Earth who could beat him. He was formerly a demon who worked under the immortals but due to his lust for women, he was exiled from the Heavenly Kingdom. During his fight with Goku, he was caught off guard and captured by Nataku, where he was sent back to the Heavenly Kingdom. After being captured, he becomes a close friend of Goku when they meet again after he was set free. He is voiced by Norio Wakamoto in Japanese and Michael McConnohie in English.
- The Iron Fan Princess and wife of the Bull Demon King. She is a beautiful human-like demon who used to be an immortal before she married Gyuki. She uses a giant iron fan known as the Bashou Fan as her primary weapon of choice, but due to it always being taken away by her husband whenever she leaves, she learned to use his axe. She is an easily jealous woman who has a lot of pride but was easily converted to Buddism after she had a short argument with Sanzo and becomes an ally to his group. Her original name is Rakshasi. She is voiced by Mai Nakahara in Japanese and Kate Higgins in English.
Golden & Silver Horned KingsEdit
- Two demons who came from the Underworld to conquer the world. The younger brother, Silver Horned King, is a prideful swordsman who could ride on clouds as fast as Goku and could also become a wind for a short amount of time. The elder brother, Golden Horned King, is a cold and merciless noble acting man who is much stronger and faster than his younger brother despite being unable to ride on clouds or turn to wind. When they are both together, they have the power to rot the land they step on. They were killed by Goku after they summoned the Azure Dragon, Seiryu. Golden Horned King is voiced by Jun Fukuyama in Japanese and Liam O'Brien in English. Silver Horned King is voiced by Hiroyuki Yoshino in Japanese and Richard Ian Cox in English. For shortnames, they are simply referred to as Golden and Silver or Kinkaku and Ginkaku in Japanese.
- The evil Azure Dragon of the East. He is a former celestial being created by the immortals to protect the eastern parts of Earth but became evil after he was cursed by a mysterious demon. He was sealed away by the Tigers of the West, a tribe of people that worship Byakko, the White Tiger of the West, but was released by the Golden and Silver Horned Kings when they were conquered. He was once again sealed away by Sanzo and Goku with the help of the Tiger Princess, Chao. He is voiced by Daisuke Ono in English and Chuck Huber in English.
- The Nine-Tailed Fox and the behind-the-scenes mastermind who planned out the most of the events that occurs towards Sanzo and his group. She was the one who caused Seiryu to become evil, made Gyuki become a tyrant on Earth, and gave the two Horned Kings the idea to destroy humanity. She also caused Sanzo to become her mindless puppet later on in the series, making Goku, Hakkai, and Gojyo disordered and giving up the sutra scrolls they found. She was killed by Sanzo after he escaped her control, and it is revealed at the ending that she was reborn as a young disciple of Sanzo in the future while still retaining her former body but as a little girl. Like Goku and Hakkai, she is able to transform herself into many different beings, but is able to turn into many more than them both; she is able to transform into 900 different forms. Her original name is Daji. She is voiced by Nami Kurokawa in Japanese and Erika Lenhart in English.
- Nataku - Goku's friend from before he invaded the Heavenly Kingdom. He is a high ranking immortal in the Heavenly Army who is often teased by others because of his very feminine looks. He is a master martial artist and a master weapon user, having only ever lost to Goku in his younger days before becoming an immortal. His original name is Nezha. He is voiced by Aya Hirano in Japanese and Tara Platt in English.
- Buddha - The supreme ruler of the Heavenly Kingdom and a being who has no gender nor true face. His face is never shown because it is always hidden as light, showing that he is neither man nor woman and equal judgment. He is a kind and benevolent being who is also strict with justice, always deciding who deserves what after he makes his appearances. He is voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa and Megumi Nakajima in Japanese and Michael McConnohie and Kate Higgins in English.
- Kurenai - The daughter of the Bull Demon King and Iron Fan Princess who accidentally married Goku by having the Wine of Vows taken away from her. She is a young and beautiful girl who is only 14 years-old, but she is nearly as strong as her father in strength and superior to her mother in beauty. She is a tomboyish girl who often defies her father's wishes which always causes him to breakout in tears, but she always follows her mother's wishes out of fear. She has a strong dislike for Goku and has gone to great lengths to kill him during his stay in her father's castle in order to divorce him. She replaces the role of Hong Hai'er (Red Boy) from the original Journey to the West. She is voiced by Rie Kugumiya in Japanese and Kari Wahlgren in English.
- The characters, Cho Hakkai and Kurenai, were originally males in Journey to the West
- Due to episode limits, most of the story intended to be added were removed, such as the fight between Goku and the Four Heavenly Generals
- Sanzo Hoshi was in fact, originally bald in Journey to the West due to the setting of the time and the fact that he was actually a monk
- Cho Hakkai's character in this series was intended to be a fanservice character for males along with Sanzo Hoshi for females