Matchmaker Konata is a Japanese anime series based off of the adults-only PC/Macintosh dating sim of the same name. It aired on TV Tokyo, TV Osaka, Animax Asia, and AT-X from January 5, 2012 to March 29, 2012, lasting 13 episodes. It has been licensed from Sentai Filmworks for a Blu-Ray release in late 2013.
- Konata Ichikiwi is a normal 17-year-old high school girl with a secret; she is gifted from the gods with the power of love, which causes her to immediately see when two people are meant for each other. After giving the perfect match to her best friend Sasami, she soon becomes the school's matchmaker, giving students and teachers their perfect matches. Along the way, she meets Ichigo, a shy boy looking for "not much, just a nice girl I can be in love and marriage", but for whatever reason, Konata just cannot find his perfect match. Is he simply unable to find someone to love or is he Konata's perfect match? After failing to match Ichigo's perfect love, all of Konata's matches start going horribly wrong! What has happened to Konata's gift? Find out in Matchmaker Konata!
Differences between visual novel and animeEdit
- In the visual novel, you played from Ichigo's point of view as he tried to find his perfect love; the three possible endings were with Sasami, Konata, or no one (bad ending). The anime is based off of Konata's route, however from her point of view.
- All adult content has been eliminated from the anime as it was on the Wii, Nintendo DS, and iPhone versions.
- Under construction. Anyone is free to write and make episodes!
- The anime was licensed by Sentai Filmworks on January 13, 2012, originally announced for an early 2013 release, however has been delayed because of complications with getting the Blu-Ray version of the show with the studio. Madman Entertainment in Australia and Kaze UK have also licensed the show. While Kaze UK has not made a statement yet, Madman Entertainment states that they will try to get their release out "as soon as the show is fully dubbed, Blu-Ray, and available to us." The subtitled episodes were already submitted to the BBFC for the Kaze UK release, ending up with a '12' rating. The show is currently streaming worldwide at Crunchyroll.com as well.
- UPDATE: On May 20, 2013, Sentai Filmworks announced that dubbing of the show has began, the Blu-Ray rights have been cleared, and it is expected to be released in November 2013.
- UPDATE 2: Kaze UK and Madman Entertainment plan to release the series in 2014, Blu-Ray and dubbed as well.
- UPDATE 3: Matchmaker Konata was released in November successfully by Sentai Filmworks, and Crunchyroll has taken down the show. Kaze UK and Madman will have their releases out in April 2014.
- The visual novel is not officially licensed in any country outside of Japan, however an English translation of the PC version from the Japanese studio is available to purchase and download from their website for $9.99 worldwide, and an iPhone app has been released for $5.99, only available in America.
- In Japan, the series was released across three Blu-Ray volumes on March 4, 2012, July 21, 2012, and October 9, 2012. It contained English subtitles for the first Blu-Ray volume, but the last two did not for some reason. The visual novel was released with an 18+ rating from the ECOS in Japan for the PC and Mac versions, and a "General", or all ages rating for the iPhone, Wii, and Nintendo DS versions.