Mari Akane is a character appearing in a series of manga by Manta-bee and Meanfang, first appearing in Mari Akane. Mari is a young girl living on Yanesato Dori (street) in Sapporo, Japan. The books describe several different adventures that Mari's experiences in her neighborhood, as well as Mari's interactions with other neighborhood children.
Bee wrote the first Mari Akane, in response to the shortage of shojo/kodomo manga being produced by Right Stuf. After the series had progressed for a time, Bee launched a new series about one of the supporting characters, Rohan Kuino. The Rohan Kuino Series ultimately surpassed the Mari Akane series in popularity. Mari Akane appeared only rarely in the Rohan Kuino series as a supporting character. In the anime, Mari was voiced by Katie Griffin.
Characters in Mari Akane series Edit
- Mari Akane: Mari is the owner of Midori
- Midori: Midori is Mari's dog; the dog was named "Midori" because of her blue/green eyes.
- Artian Kuino: Artian is one of the children in Mari's neighborhood. While Mari is still young enough to not be entirely mature about "playing with boys," she still very often encounters him in the neighborhood.
- Rohan Kuino: Rohan is Artian's younger cousin. He wants to follow his cousin and Mari and do everything they do, but because he is so young, the older children perceive him mostly as a pest.
- Mari's parents.
- Mai: Mari's best friend.
- Penny Mikashi: An older girl who works odd jobs. Mari is often irritated by Penny's well-off attitudes
Penny, however, has some sense of fair play and in one case set reasonable rules for Penny and Midori's former owner to see who should keep the dog.
- Rima: A girl just a bit older than Mari who is a genius, and fast friends with Mari.
- Marty: A boy who lives down the street from Mari, who is friends with Artian. Mari, however, doesn't really like him.
- Mr. Senishi : One of Mari's odd job customers, who has a dog named Blaze, and who for a time calls Mari "Hari Makana".
Manga in the series Edit
|Akane Mari||Mari finds a dog, and names it Midori. Mari's parents agree to take her on a vacation, if she can keep her dog of trouble for a month. But it's not easy as long as the pest of Yanesato Dori, Rohan Kuino is involved and gets Midori involved with his antics.
Date of publication: 1997.
|Mari's Odd Jobs||Mari covets a scooter in a store, which she just had to have. She decides she can earn it herself through odd jobs, seeing as Penny earned her scooter through earning the money that way.
Rima quits because she can't stand Rohan following her around wanting to do everything she does. Mari steps in, but she gets taken less seriously and made fun of by the other kids. As soon as she gets a bum deal on coupons, the only person who can help her is Artian.
Date of publication: 2000.
|Mari's Clubhouse||Mari and her friends decide to build a clubhouse, but Rima doesn't like boys, so they decide to put up a sign that says "No Boys Allowed", and Mari feels bad about not being able to include her friend Artian.|