Fanboy and Chum Chum (Anime Version) is an anime version of the show airing on Nickelodeon.
|Fanboy and Chum Chum (Anime Version) (Fanboyおよび仲間は親しくなる(日本製アニメ版))|
Fanboy and Chum Chum as they appear in the series.
|English Network||Right Stuf Network|
|Starring||Jason Griffith, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Roger Craig Smith|
|First aired||March 1, 2010|
- Fanboy is an enthusiastic fan of comic books, fantasy, science fiction, and action figures. Fanboy, the anime's protagonist, wears a purple mask, cape, and gloves, green tights, black high-top sneakers, and his trusty underwear on the outside of his costume. Fanboy has an active imagination, a zeal for fun, frolic, and adventure, and he enjoys spending all of his time with his best pal, Chum Chum. His unique and simple life perspective tends to cause him trouble, but he usually finds a way to weasel out of any consequences. He is voiced by Jason Griffith.
- Chum Chum is the show's dueteragonist as Fanboy's best friend and sidekick. Although he is significantly than the other main characters, he is still in the same class as them. In a interview with Eric Robles, he explained that this is because Fanboy snuck him into his class and Mr. Mufflin never noticed the age difference. Like Fanboy, Chum Chum doesn't appear to have super powers except the ability to float. Chum Chum is extremely energetic and high-spirited, and possesses an indomitable enthusiasm and childlike jocularity. Chum Chum wears a black mask and gloves, a yellow cape, an orange and yellow shirt with his face on it, orange tights, black high-top sneakers, and his underwear on the ouside of his costume. Chum Chum seems to be incapable of achieving more than 3 points on Boog's "Chimp Chomp" video game, although Chum Chum is ecstastic even when he loses. He is voiced by Colleen Clinkenbeard.
- Kyle is a fellow classmate of Fanboy and Chum Chum. He's an insecure teen wizard who is loathsome to Fanboy and Chum Chum for their lack of intelligence, but he secretly yearns for their friendship. Kyle was expelled from his wizarding school Milkweed Academy for turning his teacher Professor Flan into a raspberry flan. "Delicious old fool," Kyle said of him. Kyle is now reluctantly enrolled in Fanboy and Chum Chum's regular public school, where he seems to have very few friends. Fanboy and Chum Chum typically forget that Kyle has wizardly powers, and the effort of reminding them usually infuriates Kyle. He wears a scarlet and yellow striped shirt with jeans, red high tops, and a black cape. He has red hair and very large front teeth with braces and he speaks in a British accent. As Kyle struggles to be re-admitted to Milkweed, he often suffers painful indignities, often a result of Fanboy and Chum Chum's shenanigans, but Kyle never seems to be any worse for the wear. He is voiced by Roger Craig Smith.
- Boogregard "Boog" Shlizetti is a short-tempered bop-happy bully who is obsessed with the video game Chimp Chomp, which he plays at the Frosty Mart, often instead of working. He said that he grew up in a plastic bubble (an homage to John Travolta, who starred in The Boy in the Plastic Bubble). Boog even talks like Travolta's character, Vinnie Barbarino, in Welcome Back, Kotter. He has a prized muscle car named Sandy, which is a possible nod to the Travolta movie Grease. He is an antagonist of the show. He is voiced by Christopher R. Sabat.
- Leonard "Lenny" Flynn-Boyle is the accident prone junior manager of the Frosty Mart. He finds Fanboy and Chum Chum irritating and sometimes gets a "stress twitch" when annoyed by them. His first appearance in the anime was in "The Battle Begins!! Fanboy vs. Boog!!". He is voiced by Dan Green.
- Ozwald "Oz" Harmounian is occasionally a tritagonist of the show. Fanboy and Chum Chum think he is "the most knowledgeable human being ever", yet in reality, he is a nerdish know-it-all who lives with his elderly mother. He often says "seriously" as a means of punctuating his opinions. He runs a comic shop called Oz Comix, and he has a vast stock of comics and collectibles, all of which he hoards, and none of which he is willing to sell. He is plump, has a ponytail, a soul patch beard and wears a black high collared leather jacket. It is not known how old Oz is, but he is quite likely of the age when it is no longer cool to be living with one's mother. He is voiced by Ryan Drummond.
- Dollar-nator is a sophisticated computerized intelligence system built by Fanboy in the future, and sent back in time by Fanboy to bail Fanboy and Chum Chum out of a jam in 'Dollar Day'. He has made numerous appearances on the show and he is someone the boys can rely on in a jam. Dollar-nator has many surprise skills and talents. He is an obvious parody of Arnold Schwarzenegger's Terminator character, as Dollar-nator has a gap between his teeth, a thick Austrian accent and he materialized from the future. Dollar-nator is crafted from parts of a Chimp Chomp machine, a Pong-style video game, a restaurant grade hot dog steamer, a microwave oven and other components as yet revealed. He is voiced by Steven Jay Blum.
- Mr. Hank Mufflin is Fanboy and Chum Chum's grouchy, yet often playful, teacher. Mufflin usually considers the boys to be annoying and beneath recognition, except when referring to Fanboy as "Purple Kid" and to Chum Chum as "Talking Racoon". His dispassion for teaching is punctuated by his dull vocal tone. Occasionally, however, Mufflin will indulge himself a shred of youthful exuberance. He is potentially senile and he hates almost every aspect of his job. According to show canon, Mufflin will be able to retire in approximately 14 years. He has a gravely, monotonous voice and a lazy eye. He is voiced by Matt Hill.
- Janitor Russ Poopatine is a janitor at Fanboy and Chum Chum's school and another major antagonist. He is a parody of Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars. He is a pale, skinny, gnarled old man who wears a dark hooded shirt. Several of his lines in his debut episode "The Janitor Strikes Back" (the title, of course a parody of The Empire Strikes Back) are direct parodies of lines spoken by Palpatine and Darth Vader. For example, in The Janitor Strikes Back, Poopatine says, "And now gum, you will die," which is a parody of "and now Young Skywalker, you will die.". In episode "Fanboy Stinks", Poopatine attempts to wrangle Chum Chum's pecan log stuck to the floor, falls over and says "The force is strong with this pecan log". Poopatine rides around in a cart named Brenda, who communicates by beeping in a manner similar to R2D2. Poopatine has a strong hatred of gum and saltwater taffy. Poopatine tries to destroy the bubble gum monster Yum Yum, until it saves his life. In "The Janitor's Apprentice", it is revealed he has a trash collection and a trash receptacle called the "Dump Star", a nod to the Star Wars Death Star and a pun on the word "dumpster". As a running show gag, whenever Poopatine's name is spoken, Chum Chum says, "Poop!" He is voiced by Quinton Flynn.
- Man-Artica is the sub-zero superhero who scours the cosmos looking for scofflaws to "put on ice." His biggest fans are Fanboy, Chum Chum, most of the other children, and the Secret Shopper. Man-Arctica balances a mild disdain for humanity against his duty to save them from harm. He often refers to children as "earth larvae". Although Man-Arctica enjoys being a hero, he also appreciates spending quality time alone in his Igloo of Ice-olation. He is voiced by Jeff Bennett.
- Yo is another of Fanboy and Chum Chum's classmates. She is a happy-go-lucky gadget fangirl who loves her Yamaguchi digital pets (a parody of Tamagotchi). One of her pets is a cat named Scampers. She usually acts like an antagonist. She has a rather insane crush on Chum Chum. Yo has black hair, wears a yellow shirt, a plaid skirt, and a frog-shaped backpack. She is shown to be a talented prankster, dominating Fanboy on Prank Day. She is voiced by Sharon Stone.
- Agent Johnson is the do-it-all authority figure in Galaxy Hills. He's an officer with the toy police, and the head of security at the Frosty Mart. He is voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch
- Fedora Man is one of the delivery people in Galaxy Hills. He wears a green and white jacket and a fedora. He also buys pickle jars for some reason. He is voiced by Richard Ian Cox.
- Secret Shopper was a shopper who would close down Frosty Marts for bad service until he gained super-powers from being frozen from the Frosty Freezy Freeze machine. While he is a re-texture of Fedora Man, his different voice, personality and clothing makes him a distinctive character. He is voiced by Jason Griffith.
- Sigmund the Sorcerer is a evil sorcerer. He is voiced by Jeff Bennet.
- Fankylechum is a nerdish, good-spirited classmate of the boys. His name was a portmanteau unintentionally made up by Fanboy, Chum Chum, and Kyle when trying to fool Mr. Mufflin into getting them out of school forever, but their plan fails when he calls an actual character who has the name and excuses him from all school forever but is later actually back in school. He wears glasses and a school uniform. For Chum Chum's birthday, he built a robot dragon named Metarex and he can make fire and frozen yogurt. He is voiced by Samuel Vincent.
- Chris Chuggy is a classmate of Fanboy and Chum Chum's class. He seems unable to form sentences or words, but is able to communicate with the only phoneme he can utter: "Wah". He is often seen in class with the boys. Chuggy is roundish with orange hair, and is shown to wear a light blue shirt with a chicken on it. He is voiced by James Arnold Taylor.
- Main article: List of Fanboy and Chum Chum (Anime Version) episodes
- Episode four's Japanese name is Robots from Hell, Yo's Only Wish for Hope!!. However, it was changed to Robots of Torture, Yo's Wish for Hope!!
- All blood, violence, and gunfire were removed. Although, Dr. Acula's fangs have blood on it, and the staff couldn't remove it.
- In episode 2, Berry called the monsters on the island perverts because they destroyed the boats to get back home. However, it was edited to Berry saying after the boat was destroyed, "You monsters!".
- In the Japanese version of episode 1, Kyle calls both Fanboy and Chum Chum retards. However, it was changed to Kyle calling them idiots.
Production for a Second SeasonEdit
When the series made it's premiere, it was given a second season. However, Manta-bee thought to use new voice actors for the characters. If they didn't find the new voice actors, the show would be cancelled. Hopefully, by the time episode 3 aired, they found the perfect voice actors for Fanboy and Chum Chum:
- Jason Griffith as Fanboy
- Colleen Clinkenbeard as Chum Chum
and Manta-bee agreed. Kyle's new VA is Rodger Craig Smith, and they found others:
- Sharon Stone as Yo
- Ryan Drummond as The Oz
- Christopher R. Sabat as Boog
- Matt Hill as Mr. Mufflin
- Dan Green as Lenny
And more. Then, when the cast was gathered, the production for season two has begun.